How long should I run my UV light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookemhorns_98

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a UV light from one of my LFS's, however, the other LFS i frequent has given me some conflicting information regarding the usage of my spankin' new UV light...
The place I purchased it from said to run it sparingly whenever I need it (get new fish, algae outbreak etc.), because it will kill beneficial organisms along with the bad.
A different LFS recommended I run it constantly to prevent those afore mentioned outbreaks...
any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Hook'em Horns

If I were to run one, I would run it 24/7, it doesn't kill all that many beneficial organisms, and depending on whether it was sized correctly, it may not do such a great job on the bad ones either.

I run one 24x7 and do not see any side affects... The main thing to remember is benificial bacteria colonizes the surfaces of the rocks, substrate, tubing, resevoirs, etc... very little is in the water column. Now, the thing is, like Kevin mentioned, unless it is sized correctly and even a little larger for the tank size, it will probably doing more harm to the electric bill than the tank...UV lights are not a cure for harmful bacteria and protozoans, it is mereley a preventative piece of equipment. If used properly and continuosly, it is a good piece of equipment to have..

Make sure that the UV is installed after a prefilter so that no big particles are introduced through the UV. This will help keep the pathway clear and help the UV do its job more efficiently..

Back
Top Bottom