How long to qt fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dromo2189

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello i have had a fish in qt for a week. He’s eating good and no problem. Wondering if i can move him to the display tank yet? Feel like he might be more comfortable with other fish

Hello i have had a fish in qt for a week. He’s eating good and no problem. Wondering if i can move him to the display tank yet? Feel like he might be more comfortable with other fish

I would quarantine for two weeks. Are you treating with any meds? In QT, I treat with General Cure, Erythromycin, and Ich-X and, if no problems appear, into the main tank they go.

I'd go a month personally. Make sure you know they don't have an underlining problem before exposing them to your healthy fish.

No I’m not treating for anything. Was going to pre treat but heard it add extra stress to fish so was told to just watch for anything

It may not matter ,but what kind of fish ?
Marine right?
What size is QT.
Marine fish do stress often in QTs.

I typically do 30 days and only dose if I see any problems. Monior for feeding and erratic behavior.

I would run the tank at hypo salinity [1.017 or less] for a couple weeks then get him up to SG in tank.
If not hypo then copper is a good choice for a preventative treatment ?
You definitely do not want to add marine ich to your DT..
It has a 1 year life cycle !
If you are comfortable I would go with hypo for 2-3 weeks.
Sometimes the size of QTs can be an issue. Although still small the hippo wants to run ! If he looks stressed and not 'sick' you might want to re think how long he stays in QT...

So after looking at the hippo super close it looks like there might be a couple small white dots on the black part of him. Wondering if treating with cooper is the best? Or should i do hypo salinity or do heat? Or all three?

Heat is a freshwater only way to address their version of the parasite.
Saltwater is only hypo or copper. At the end of the day, both work. If you don't have a copper test kit, hypo will be the way to go since you can test salinity.

Would it be good if i lower my salinity to 1.017 and have cooper in it also? I have cooper power with a api test kit. And how long do you take to lower the salinity?

Like Hank said heat is a big no no in marine.
The hypo ,copper and transfer method are the only 3 true ways to cure marine ich.
The transfer method requires 2 tanks and moving the fish daily for weeks to get it away from the parasite while it is falling off.
In marine ich the parasite sets up shop where it believes the fish sleep so it can re infect them nightly !
No need to use copper with hypo ,I would pick one or the other with hypo being more natural and possibly safer.
You are correct though that if you use copper you MUST have copper test kit. Too much CU and the fish will die.
If the hippo has ich which is fairly common in newly acquired fish the hypo would be my go to method.Safe ,easy and adjustable..
A couple weeks of no spots and thorough cleaning of bottom of tank should be all you need.

So i already added a tiny bit of cooper can i still do hypo? Also how would i even do it? Like take out a gallon at a time and add regular water?

Thank you that’s a great article. Since i already started cooper seems like that’s the route i have to go

So for my next fish i would like to do hypo in qt. Should i have the salt lower for the acclamation process or wait to see if anything is even wrong with fish?

You add fish to QT with normal SG.
Then over 48 hours you take it down to desired level with fish in the tank.

And how long do you keep it at that level just to prevent a disease for happening?

Back
Top Bottom