How loud are pistol shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin_Toronto

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked up a Randall's Pistol Shrimp today, he's tiny...I mean very tiny. Not even half an inch. As expected, soon after dropping him in, he burrowed under a rock and disappeared. I picked up a Randall's shrimp goby to go along with him as well, who also hid right away. Figure it'll take a while before they get a little more comfortable.

Anyway, how loud should I expect the snapping sounds to be from a tiny shrimp that sized? I know that tiger pistols can be aggressive, and get fairly large, hence making very loud popping sounds.

Anyone have experience with a Randall's?

th-78530-shrimp.jpg

That is a nice pic. Mine, I can hear over the TV (or at least the two side speakers I have). Mine is a little bigger than that. Meaning, you won't have to worry about asking, "Is my pistol still alive" after you see a molt stuck on your Ph.

Mine is VERY loud as well. It is amazing just how crystal clear the "pop" is coming from my tank.

I'm thinking about getting one for my nano and then moving it to the display. Sound good? And I know they can be tiny but how big can they get?

I believe most of the hobby "grade" pistols may get to about 2-3 inches. At least from what I have seen.

Where the heck did you get your Pistol Shrimp from?!:mad:

After a lot of research and talking to various LFS's, I decided that the common tiger pistol is simply too dangerous to keep with my hermits and blood shrimp. I learned that the Randall's pistol will only grow to around 1", and take many years to achieve that length. Some literature online says he'll only grow 0.5", he'a also peaceful in comparison to other pistols. Randall's shrimp will try to run away before using his pistol. I also learned that they almost always successfully pair with their natural goby, the Randall's Goby, which coincidentally is also very nice looking.

I called all my local LFS's and it turns out one of them just got a pistol in, and a few of the Randall's goby's as well. Felt like a bit of a dink paying $40 for a shrimp that's the size of a grain of rice. The goby was $20 which I think is an okay price, but I have yet to see him since I dropped him in the aquarium.

I *think* I heard the pistol last night, a light snapping sound... sounded like a spark or electrical short coming from the aquarium.

After a lot of research and talking to various LFS's, I decided that the common tiger pistol is simply too dangerous to keep with my hermits and blood shrimp. I learned that the Randall's pistol will only grow to around 1", and take many years to achieve that length. Some literature online says he'll only grow 0.5", he'a also peaceful in comparison to other pistols. Randall's shrimp will try to run away before using his pistol. I also learned that they almost always successfully pair with their natural goby, the Randall's Goby, which coincidentally is also very nice looking.

I called all my local LFS's and it turns out one of them just got a pistol in, and a few of the Randall's goby's as well. Felt like a bit of a dink paying $40 for a shrimp that's the size of a grain of rice. The goby was $20 which I think is an okay price, but I have yet to see him since I dropped him in the aquarium.

I *think* I heard the pistol last night, a light snapping sound... sounded like a spark or electrical short coming from the aquarium.

Nice good Pick Up I have been looking for weeks to find one none of my LFS have them and I've been told to keep waiting because they normally get them in. Sound like the Randall Pistol sound interesting I have a Blue Spotted Gobie so I am just looking for that perfect pair. I am looking for the Tiger Pistol Shrimp I have a few Hermits but I really don't care to much for them being in there I would like to take them back to my LFS for credit if I can.

I have 3 or 4 hermits in my tank, and the pistol doesn't bother them. In fact, I think they occasionally wander down his burrow and he lets them know they are not welcome.

Wow! I just came up big with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp I will pick it up today @ my LFS he's on hold for me for today only I'll take pic's later and post them. :)

My LFS has a male and female yellow watchman gobies, I want to put them in my tank with some type of pistol shimp. I'm not familiar with the differant types. Please fill me in. I also have a blue spotted jawfish and was told that there might be some problems. The jawfish has his home on one end of my tank (140gal) and I hoping that will give enough room for the gobies to settle in. Is this do-able? What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom