How loud shoud a protien skimmer be??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmc

Aquarium Advice Regular
A friend was kind enough to give me his extra SeaClone Protien Skimmer for use in my sump. The skimmer was clean and in good shape but is very noisy.

Anyone out there using this model? Is this normal?

I have played with the air control valve but can't seem to quiet the thing to where it's tolerable and keep the right amount of air in the chamber... Aside from the water return, sounds like a vibration but can't seem to find where it's coming from. Only thing that stops the vibration sound is to let more air in and increase the amount of water that flows out...

Any tips on how to quiet this thing would be greatly appreciated!

JMC

I have a seaclone and I am using it as a hob model, its not very loud for me at all. I would suggest checking the maxijet pump that comes with it, this is probably the source of the noise. Also how much air are you letting in the venturi? If the air is staggared it mine can get a little loud.

Iziarek - At first I thought the pump was the source, but think it's actually the skimmer b/c as I decrease the air (allow more water to flow out of return) the vibration sound disapears... but I assume the idea is to have more air in the chamber? I'll keep tinkering and see if I can sort it out...

Thanks for the response!

I started with a clone 100 and it was super noisy. I strive to keep a near silent running tank and that was the reason I upgraded.

I'm about out of ideas to quiet the skimmer, but one last one:

Is periodic running of a protien skimmer beneficial? Could I just turn the thing off while I'm in earshot? Or is it only beneficial to run 24/7?

Well, maybe one more:

What brand of protien skimmers is known to be quietest? I've already got enough noise from overflow into wet-dry box... would like to eliminate as much noise as possible.

Thanks!
jmc

Aqua-Cs dont' make a sound. As far as turning it off and on, lots of people do it, however just so you are aware, if the conditions are right the "dead" water inside the skimmer column can get really nasty really fast and then be pumped back out into your main tank once you kick the skimmer back on.

Anything with a venturi is going to be a little noisy.. If you want quiet you'll have to pay a bit more for a different type of skimmer.

Brisc0 said:
Aqua-Cs dont' make a sound.

Mine does. It's not really noticeable after you get used to it, but it is there. Doesn't matter what height the cup is set at, and it's not really a noise I would expect to be coming from the pump (it's sort of a bubbling noise).

Is the "venturi" a component of the pump attached to the skimmer, or the skimmer type itself? Trying to pinpoint the humming noise and think it's the pump - possibly from back pressure...

its a valve in the pump itself, on the seaclone its where the air tubing conects to the pump (sometimes cleaning the pump itself can reduce operation noise, especially if fine particles are stuck in or around the gears or if there is any build up in the pump itself, to clean just pour vinegar on it should disolve anything on the gears).

Iziarek - just getting back to this - Thanks, I'll give the pump a good cleaning and see how that works.

Back
Top Bottom