How many corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TmeLrd11

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 55gal aquarium and I recently added my first coral. It's a little dragon eye frag. I would also like to add either blue or green mushroom. Ideally both mushrooms. Is this too many? How does one know what is too many corals? Here's some picks of my new frag:

Attachments

• image-3452604640.jpg
    image-3452604640.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1612405593.jpg
    image-1612405593.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 150
You've got plenty more room! Amount of corals is dictated by what kinds, some need some space or they will sting their neighbors. Most mushrooms can co-exist right next to other mushrooms. They are an anemone though, and they can sting other types of corals, like Zoanthids ( like your green ones ).
When you have corals encroaching each other, inhibiting each others growth, then you have too many corals. Till then, if allowing for some growth or a safety zone around more potent ones, you can put corals wherever you have space.
Good luck with your further researching and stocking! :)

I have a 55 and about 20 corals and im no where near done, you have a lot of room for more. As long sd you maintain your water properly and do frequent changes they should do fine...

Ya I've got roughly 30 different kinds of coral in my 46g and still looking for more lol

Do you guys do weekly changes or bi-weekly changes? I usually do bi-weekly but with coral I'm thinking weekly is better.

TmeLrd11 said:
Do you guys do weekly changes or bi-weekly changes? I usually do bi-weekly but with coral I'm thinking weekly is better.

It just depends on the tank... I run a decent size sump/refuge for my tank and just a couple weeks ago my GF and I had some issues causing me to have to leave my tank unattended for 2 weeks with just top offs and was suppose to do my wc the day before it all happened which put me at 4 weeks without a wc and my levels (other then calcium and alk being low) were perfectly fine and everything was healthy other then some algae covered glass but everything is fine now after a week of cleaning :) lol

Mrc8858 said:
It just depends on the tank... I run a decent size sump/refuge for my tank and just a couple weeks ago my GF and I had some issues causing me to have to leave my tank unattended for 2 weeks with just top offs and was suppose to do my wc the day before it all happened which put me at 4 weeks without a wc and my levels (other then calcium and alk being low) were perfectly fine and everything was healthy other then some algae covered glass but everything is fine now after a week of cleaning :) lol

Yes, I agree, it's a tank specific kind of thing, (heavily stocked, minimally stocked), but the best long-term plan is to do a weekly water change to replenish all major and minor elements , not just to reduce nitrates.
Over time these will become depleted, without sufficient water changes. There were probably many other elements, besides Ca and Alk that were lowered, that you can't easily test for, over the course of those four weeks. And you will not see any noticeable changes from this for awhile, it's a slow, steady degradation. When you do start to see any signs from it, it could be too late for some corals and difficult if not impossible to bring them back.
Weekly water changes are the best way to go
JMO

I believe your zoos are called radioactive green zoas. They are very nice, hardy, and spread pretty quick. Eagle eye zoas are red with a black mouth and yellow skirt

Back
Top Bottom