How many corals can you add at once?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just curious, I know with fish you should only add a few at a time so as to not upset the balance of your tank. Does the same apply to corals?

If so do you think this is too much to add at once?

- Small Elegance Coral
- Nano mushroom pack (from liveaquaria)
- Nano polyp pack (from liveaquaria)

Thanks in advance!

Corals do not add to your bio-load...however you do need good water conditions to add corals to your tank. Also when you acclimate the corals to your tank it is also a good idea to acclimate them to you lighting not just the water!

I've added as many as 7 coral frags at once..

My water conditions are good, just checked them.

Mind if I ask how I should go about acclimating the corals to my light?

There are a few ways of doing it. Using a screen to reduce/filter the light into the tank and reducing the hours the lights are on, slowly working back up to your regular schedule. When I get a coral that comes from lighting very different then what I have I try and put the coral in at lights out time to allow it to get used to the new water, and then I reduce the lighting schedule by 2 hours for week, that is why I try to get several frags at once....

What kind of lighting do you have? (it's not listed in your "My Info"

I would not purchase an elegant coral online. This is a difficult coral to keep and does not do well during shipping. If you have your heart set on one, source it locally so you can see it prior to purchase.

Agree about the Elegance. Tricky coral if you don't get it 10o% healthy from the start.

Also, I agree about photo-acclimation as well, I almost killed some zoos by not acclimating properly to the light.

I agree about acclimating to the light if you have MH`s. With regular PC`s or VHO`s I dont really think you have to. As Micah asked What type lighting do you have? Take some time to fill in your tank info.

Do you need to light acclimate down as well? The tank I usually get my frags from has 2-MH's as well as VHO actinic, but I have much less lighting on my tank...

Current 4 x 54W T-5 lights, and for ordering online isn't that the reason they have guarantees on the health of these corals?

I would imagine if it wasn't healthy during shipping and couldn't start working its way back to full health it would kick the can within 14 days right?

IMO it's best to acclimate corals to your specific lights regardless of the lighting they came from. Corals will be stressed from the move either way and the lower light schedule for a couple of days won't hurt them.

Just reducing your regular lighting schedule by 2-4 hours for the first week or two is usually fine for PC/VHO but using the screen method is more important if using MH.

mdjxt39 said:
I would imagine if it wasn't healthy during shipping and couldn't start working its way back to full health it would kick the can within 14 days right?

I suppose it all depends on how they/you define "kick the can." 14 days for fish is a pretty good time - and either a fish is alive or it isn't. A coral can hang on for quite a while before it's really "dead", well past the 14 day limit in my opinion.

I disagree, per say, with corals not adding to your bioload. Your bioload is based on one's experience/capabilities, what is learned/utilized, selections of livestock, and the burden one puts on their system. Although fish probably comprise most of a system's bioload, corals do add to it through nutrient import/export, excretions (mucus), growth, competition, reproduction, and not to mention affected by virtually all environmental factors we must atone for.

In reference to the matter at hand, most corals become stressed during the shipping and handling procedures so you can assume they will mucus during acclimation (if you acclimate) and even after being introduced (in-tank acclimation) into the display. The mucus can affect other established corals as well as other new additions so you should choose wisely in how you plan to stock. C. jardinei, Elegance Coral, have been rather sensitive over the past years and usually succumb to infection so it would be wise to attempt this coral once experience has been planted and a well established aquarium has been grown. Multiple corals can be added at a single time successfully, just as long as you understand the needs of said coral(s) and a system's balance is maintained.

Bio-load = ammonia produced from the waste of fish and other livestock, foods, and decomposing organic animal and plant matter. So as for increasing the bio-load I would say that the don't not like a fish, shrimp or crab. Now as was stated that they increase bio-"demand" yes they do require addition experience, time, money, patients and ability!

Ziggy953 said:
Bio-load = ammonia produced from the waste of fish and other livestock, foods, and decomposing organic animal and plant matter.

There are different sets of adopted definitions for bioload and personally I believe it's made up of more than just how much ammonia is produced in a given system.

Innovator said:
Ziggy953 said:
Bio-load = ammonia produced from the waste of fish and other livestock, foods, and decomposing organic animal and plant matter.

There are different sets of adopted definitions for bioload and personally I believe it's made up of more than just how much ammonia is produced in a given system.
I agree, any chance you can elaborate (I'm still learning and looking to get into corals within the next 3 weeks)?
BTW, it's good to have you back, Innovator.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think something other then the term "bioload" shoudl be applied to what you are talking about...The definition I gave is the text book definition which directly relates to the question asked. When we talk about the bioload of our systems we are talking about the amount of ammonia produced and nullified within the system...I equate what you are talking about as the "bio-demand" of the system...what it takes to maintain and grow the system....

The bioload is your system as a whole and is all relative, really. Whether you put a fish or a coral into a given system it requires specific care in order for that animal to grow and hopefully reproduce in one fashion or another. The care requirements add to the systems bioload. For example, you purchase a Euphyliid (Frogspawn, Hammer, Torch, whatever) and it requires adequate lighting (symbiotic), which in turn "burns energy" in order to grow/reproduce. Growth and reproduction take up valuable real estate, food intake, waste management, and leads to competition amongst corals. The bioload increases due to cause and effect, one way or another, and how the system handles the changes is largely based upon knowledge of the keeper and how that knowledge is utilized.

I agree with what you are saying, Innovator but I also see bioload as Ziggy said, and our system's ability to get rid of ammonia. I like the term "bio-demand". Maybe we can stir some waters in the hobby. ;)

But if your system is aged enough to take care of corals, meaning you do all the neccesary reserach beforehand and stuff, have adequate lighting and filtration, you shouldn't have to worry about the bioload of corals, because it seems like it would be minimal in the grand scheme of things. I dunno, just thinking out loud here. :)

Good to see you back, btw!

Back
Top Bottom