How many dispar anthias in a 120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alepop1211

Aquarium Advice Regular
How many dispar anthias can I put in a 120 gallon tank asume no tankmates at first so I can adjust.

according to live aquara 1 male to 10 females in a 125 tank

The Dispar Anthias is a reef inhabitant in the wild. It is a shallow water species that thrives best in a 125 gallon aquarium with one male and up to ten females. When housed singly, 70 gallon tank is sufficient.

all the states are on this page

https://www.liveaquaria.com/Anthias

I think im just going to do a single specimen unless anyone here thinks I could get away with 7 with limited fighting

as long as you keep 1 male and the rest females you'll be fine or keep all females. it's the males who tend to fight with one another.

Last edited:
Until another one of the females turns male... I’d get like a group of 3 juvenile females and let one switch to male.

Until another one of the females turns male... I’d get like a group of 3 juvenile females and let one switch to male.

I would only keep /get 1 of any anthius now after many years .
It is my understanding in the typical harem of 1 male 3 females that the alpha female is always wanting to take over being male..I would imagine in larger settings the effect is even stronger .
So what happens is the alpha female kills the male ^^^. It is not if....It is when . Just my opinion and supported in many articles on 'successful anthius keeping' ..
You know the ones who seriously attempt keeping groups feed 6 times a day like they need ? I think one still needs plenty of feedings also .
I have yet to hear from any who have all they started with 3, 4 , 5 years later personally ? Seems like most loose some or all from what ever they think..I just said what I think happened...:whistle:

If you just get the entire batch as female, one will turn male. This will usually be the largest of the group. The lyretails that I had did well until the male decided that he was large enough to bully around the inhabitants to get all the food.

Back
Top Bottom