How many PHs for a 72 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you want a reef tank most suggest a total of 10 x tank volume in GPH. but this includes filter and sump/fuge returns. It is also suggested that it be from multiple PH's as you want to create turbulance, high current.

As an example, you're looking for about 720 GPH for your size tank. So, if you have a sump that returns 300 GPH I would pick up two PH's that can handle 200-250 GPH and the three combined will give you what you need.

Although I agree with BillyZ, I would suggest three powerheads. To be specific, 3 Maxi Jet 1200's controlled by a Natural Wave powerstrip. This will give you the turbulence you need for the corals. I'd put one PH at each end of the tank pointed at each other. I'd place the third on the back glass blowing at an angle toward the front glass. Plug the ones on the end into the alternating plugs on the wave strip. Plug the one on the back glass into the third timed outlet...it runs a little longer. That will give you wave action and varying degrees of turbulence. JMHO.

Here's my situation. I have 72bow with roughly 180lbs of LR. The problem is that I can't turn my little giant 4 up all the way. So, I'm not moving tons on water on the surface. I'm already using 3 Maxi Jet 900's, but the way I have them placed, one is in the center behind all the rock shooting forward. The other two are on the ends, but not attached to the side, rather to the back of the tank. One angled to the front and inward, the other front and through the rocks.

I'm wounding if that's enough or should I get say, two 600's and mount them on the sides shooting across? Or is that two many electrical devices in the tank?

What are your thoughts?

If you're using an external overflow, I'd add another one or get a larger one so I could run the return pump wide open. If that wasn't an option, I'd get a smaller return pump and set the Little Giant up as a closed loop. I wouldn't put any more powerheads in there. I would consider a wavemaker of some sort for the three 900's you already have though.
An overflow at each corner with the return in the middle creates a nice double swirl on the surface...works really well. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom