How many tangs is too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Well I am thinking of trading in my palani since they just get to big. He also is always digging out his home under the rocks, which leaves a huge pile of sand in the corner. I was thinking of adding more yellow tangs. I have 3 now, and honestly I don't know if I can push it much further. I currently have a 55 fuge with mangroves and macro. Im planning to add more rock, to the fuge and the main. Its a 125 6' long. Opinions welcomed

Do you have any other fish other than the tangs?

I know this is going to be somewhat a debatable topic but with a 6' long 125gal I can see maybe 2 additional tangs in there. Assuming the rest of the fish load is light.

3 Yellow tangs, 1 Palani/Eyestripe tang, 3 orbiculate cardinals, 1 half black dwarf angel, 1 Gray angel, pair of Percula clowns, 3 BG chromis, pair of clarkii clowns. Thats all I have now, assuming I trade off the palani the gray angel will be the only other "large" fish. I was honestly thinking of adding 4 more yellows. 8O Assuming why of course I stock up on more rock in the fuge, and the main I will increase bio load capacity. Im more worried about bio - load rather than aggression. On another forum they told me the 3 tangs would kill each other and adding another type of tang was asking for disaster. Well I no longer visit that forum and my tangs get along great. I just really think a school of yellows would be quite interesting.

Agree, it would be cool to see how a true school would interact.
If you do it, post some picks. :)

That would be cool to see indeed. I have only seen it once in a Thousand gallon tank at the LFS. I was neat. They were not that big only about 2 inches total but there was alot of them. 0X :wink:

Im going to do it as soon as I have a little spending money. If I can find the hawaiin yellows at my wholesaler then I can do it at once 8) He usually has the cyanide infested philipine tangs though.

0.jpg

Well theres my 3 yellows now, I am tempted to add 4 more of various sizes. These 3 are the same size, but as you can see the palani is huge. Im also going to have to think about ich as well. None of the new tangs will be QT though ive never had a problem before.

Hope the newcomers don't get too beat up.
I am going to put my 2 Heni's in my main this weekend. Fingers are crossed that my Yellow and Angel won't beat them up too bad. 8O

Yea thats why I may get another small one and 3 large ones. I know they won't touch the large ones and the smaller one can just kinda fade into the group. I would get some heni banner fish, but I just can't find them locally. The tang idea was there since the beginning obviously since the 3 yellows were my 1st fish. Besides I don't think ive seen any tang schools in anyone elses tanks. At least of one species.

Any more opinions? Would 7 Yellow tangs work, or is that just too much?

I got a lot of bad responses on another forum. They also think 3 is to many, and mine are fine. No aggresion at all, will keep this updated when I go for it.

Back
Top Bottom