How much is too much with feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vipvenom

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am sure this is posted here somewhere but I couldn't find it. I just want to know what is the general rule of thumb with feeding amounts. I tend to feed my fish 2-3 times per day but I try to keep the amounts small is this ok? They consume just about everything that I put in the tank. I have a clown, blue tang, clown goby, and a six lined wrasse (all small) along with snails, blue legged hermit crabs and a peppermint shrimp. Any tips or advice woulod be much appriciatred.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. I feed alternated foods. Occasionally live brine shrimp, ocean nutrition formula 2 pellets, and frozen mysis shrimp if this helps.

Someone else can probably give you better supported advice but I'll give it a try. 2-3 times a day is more than likely too much. I feed every other day and have had great results. I feed no more than the fish can consume in 5 minutes and there is little to none left over or at least what the clean up crew can finish off. My nitrates are low and I have no unwanted algea growth (so far). HTH and good luck!

I feed my fish once (sometimes twice a day) alternating foods between Mysis, bio pure frozen, OSI flake and tetramin crisps on a day to day basis. I try to skim the heck out of my tank. I would say three times is to much.

Yeah, I figured three times was too much, thats why I asked. I will probably cut down to once a day. Thanks!

Do you have any algae problems? I fed once per day and had aweful algae outbreaks. When I cut back the feeding to every other day and alternate foods, the algae went away.

Unless you have a fish like an anthias and you skim like a madman with a skimmer sized 2-3x your tank volume I'd probably cut back to every other day. If you've got tangs you'll want to hang nori on the days you're not feeding food.

No algae problems with your current feeding schedule? How long have you been doing it for? Just be careful that if you change your feeding schedule that you don't end up over feeding to compensate for the altered schedule!

I feed every other day. Your fish appreciate you much more this way :D I put some nori in the tank on alternating days occasionally.

No algae problem. I just like to feed my fish but now that it is out of my system I am going to cut down. My fish acted different when I only fed them this afternoon. It was weird because when I left they were swimming around like crazy looking for food but when I fed them later they ate but they didn't go as crazy as normal. Maybe they got so hungry that they just started eating the copepods. Thanks for the help all.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom