How much LR is enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poolrad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 50 pounds in my 46g bowfront all LR no base rock, I was considering another 20 pounds of Tonga branch..

Anyone think 70 pounds is too much? Too little?

Anyone with a 40-55 tank have a pic of LR placement? Mine is sporadic and I just don't have a good talent at placing my pieces...

it all depends on what you are wanting to do with the appearance of your tank.. theres no real algorithm to say how much u should or shouldnt have..

for a tank that size though i'd look at roughly 100lbs..

My biggest problem right now is arranging it nicely. I just have it as a ridge line from left to right across the tank. Space in front of it and behind..

I really suck at placing rock, anyone have recommendations? I was thinking about building a volcano like mound in the center of the aquarium and working outward to the glass. Right now with my ridge setup it touches the glass on the left & right sides of the aquarium...

IMO 1 lb per gallon is the min I would go with. It all depends on the looks you want and if the rock is dense. I have 60 in my 55 and It fills the tank up nice, I have see dense rock in tanks and it only looks like 30 lbs instead of 60.
Some people like the look of losts of LR, I don't I want a fish tank not a LR tank.
I enough for good natural filtration and thats it..

I can take some pics when I get home this evening and post em up. I need to do before and after shots anyways since this weekend I am adding a new overflow, a uv sterilizer, 3 maxi-jet 600's on a wavemaker pro, and getting rid of my satellite dual and putting up a coralife aqua moonlight. Going to be removing my Hagan 901 powerhead and my crappy Penguin Emperor hang on the back filter...

Just a suggestion: I like the look of two mounds on each side of the tank. kind of offset from each other. I like to create a lot of caves for creatures to inhabit. Give it character and depth. Allow water to flow around the mass and through it. It always takes me a few months to finally settle on aquascaping. I consider aquariums to always be a work in progress.

I am horrible at aquascaping and my husband who happens to be very good at setting up a tank and arranging corals can't do it either : ( I once asked my LFS how much they would charge and they said $2/lb. Doesn't sound like much i know but I have atleast 290 lb's yikes! Look in the gallery under tank shots, there are some great aquascapes in there!

I know i about fell over when he told me. Too bad I don't have the skills for it or I would have to go in business for it myself lol. Appearantly many many people in my area pay him for it.

I took a ton of tank shots last night but couldn't get any of them under 250k (all were 2+ megs from my camera). I ended up taking a crack at it and redesigned it to the single mound volcano type method that I saw in many pictures here.

Looks better, but still just seems like something is missing.

Back
Top Bottom