How much macro should be in my fug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spechty37

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I was wondering how much macro to have in my fug I started with a little ball of cheato and a few leafs of caulapra and now my fug is packed full. Is more better or can you have to muchImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392592811.916421.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392592835.038836.jpg

I usually let my macros grow to fill up the available space and then pull all but about 1/3 of it out. They will grow too dense and light won't be able to easily reach it all so there is definitely a limit to the amount you should keep.

The problem with calerpa is the lighting needs to be opposite the DT lighting or needs to be on 24/7. Also the calerpa needs to be thined out every so often. If these are not done the calerpa can go sexual and cause your water to be milky looking.

I do keep the light on in the sump 24/7. And I also think your right about it getting so thick that the light doesn't penetrate it that is something that I didn't think about and is probably happening in my sump now because my fug is packed. I guess I will thin it out tomorrow. How do you thin cheato it's kinda all intertwined like a ball do I just cut a piece off to keep and throw the rest away

Like a ball of yarn, just grab a handful and it can be cut with scissors or just ripped apart. I usually go crazy and harvest about 3/4 of it at a time, it just grows back faster and absorbs more nutrients I want to get rid of. Don't let it grow too packed, as mentioned that can cause problems you don't need.

Back
Top Bottom