How much to feed a snowflake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a snowflake and he's about 9" long. How often and what should I feed him. I have been feeding him clams everyday. But it looks like he'll keep eating and eating. IS there a rule of thumb I should follow?

thanks

Try not to feed them more than a few times a week at most. Every 2-3 days should be plenty. Each time you feed keep offering the eel food via feeding stick until it stops accepting it readily. They do have a limit but if fed daily, you will end up with very large water quality issues.

Also try varying the types of meaty fair. Krill, shrimp meat, scallops and other types will round out the eels nutrition. You can also try soaking the foods a vitamin every so often for added benefit. Just be sure it's not spurlina based, mine ignored that stuff.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for info. One more question, What kind of vitamin should I use.

I agree with what Steve says. I feed mine about every 3 days till he stops. I have been feeding frozen krill, I tried silver sides and he would not take them. I would not feed them freeze dried krill unless you soak it well prior to feeding him. My first SFE died of unknown reasons, it was mentioned that he may have choked on a piece of freeze dried krill that I did not soak that well :(

I feed all my eels every other day, as much as they want to eat. When they were small, I fed them daily. I do not have water quality issues with 4 large eels, but I do very regular water changes.

rdefino said:
What kind of vitamin should I use.
Selcon seemed to be the best accepted. Could have just been my experience but when foods where soaked in Vita-chem, Zoe or similar products; the eel ignored the food (I think it altered the scent to much ?).

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom