How much water change....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do 5 gallons once every..well, whenever. Why 14G? Thats about 20 percent. If its working for ya, great, but usually folks stick to 10 percent/week/month (7.5G out of a 75G tank), what ever. Is there a reason for doing so much? Algea issue, Cyano, just that bored?..

I'm am a HUGE advocate of 20-25% bi-monthly water changes on reefs. I've found everything looks better, water quality is better, corals grow faster, and the water stays noticeably clearer allowing for better light penetration. IMO, anything less than atleast 15% just won't cut. Adacaro I think 14 gals. is perfect.

Works to about the same I think.

20% twice a month will reduce 100 units of something to 64 (100*.8*.8) units. (assuming no more produced)

10% four times a month will reduce 100 units of something to 65.6 (100*.9*.9*.9*.9) units

So I think either is fine.

I do 15 gallons every 2 weeks and my water levels are always dead on.

When doing water changes on a setup with a sump/fuge, do you have to shut down the entire system, minus what's in display?

I shut down everything...Tank drains back into the sump then I suck the water out of the sump. When I do large water changes I take water out of the tank as well.

Back
Top Bottom