How often can I add fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new 75gal that have 4 damsels and 1 trigger. I added the trigger last week, when can I add another fish?

Your suposed to add them slowly. I'd wait till it looks like everyone is happy and healthy. Do you have a QT tank setup? IF so, you can probibly purchase your next fish now and go through the 2-3 week QT process. By the end your tank should be ready again.

What type of fish were you thinking of adding?

A big mistake people make is adding too many fish too soon. When a tank cycles it is used to the small bio-load you used to get it going. When you start adding fish, even one, you increase the bio-load of the tank and it needs time to catch up. For new tanks I would recommend adding a new fish every four weeks. This gives you plenty of time to research, buy and QT all new arrivals. In a 29 gal. I woul skip on the tangs and wrasses. Consider a royal gramma or some gobies. You may even be able to sneak a dwarf angel in there. As far as lighting goes, the plastic cover with NO lighing will be okay. If you decide to start getting some corals you may want to upgrade to CF lighing with a glass top, or betteryet, go topless. God luck and WELCOME TO AA!!! :D :D :D
Lando

I've been adding fish very slowly to my 2 month old tank,

I started with 3 chromis about a month after I set the tank up and now have a Banggai Cardinalfish and a Purple Firefish. I added each one every 2 to 3 weeks.

Everyone is doing great and I am ready to buy another fish this week.

Taking it slow is the best way to go.

Good Luck

As Rocketseason posted - QT, QT, QT. :!:

You know, a lot of folks have been thru this when starting out. I got burned too. Got real excited, wanting to add fish too quickly. The system didn't develop necessary bacteria fast enuf to support the bio-load I was adding so quickly. On top of that, I gave up the QT I had established and relied on the LFS recommendation that the UV sterilizer would keep me out of trouble.

All that said, I'm hoping you are QTing and trying real hard to keep the enthusiasm about adding too fast in check. Otherwise, there may be problems and things will die.

I was told the same thing about patience. But did I listen??? :oops: Sometimes that kind of experience is the best teacher.

Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom