How often (if ever) should I target feed a Serpent Star?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up a Serpent Star last weekend to help with my clean up. The LFS told me I could try feeding it fresh fish, so I went out and bought some Cod. I cut a piece about 1/4 inch by 1/2 inch and poked the Star in the leg with it. Right away, it took the Cod, wrapped itself around the Cod. When I checked later, the body of the Star was larger (from the Cod I presume). Now the Star has not moved much in the last day, probably still digesting or something, or just lazy. The body of the Star went back to normal size as well.

Should I leave the Star to wander around the tank looking for food, or do this on a regular basis?

I've had a brittle star for 10 months or so and have never target fed. WOndering why serpents should be any different? I'd be anxious to hear also.

Got a feeling targeting is fine, but not needed.

I don't think you have to, I just spoil mine. I give them a couple of pellets every 3 days or so. Its fun to watch them sneak out and grab it. I do the same for my brittle star and also for my new Fromia and CC star.

Thanks for the info. Good to know that the Star will keep itself fed without me intervening. I hate sticking my hands in the tank. I will keep some fish frozen fish handy to show off to company when they check out the tank :mrgreen:

i have read that brittle stars and serpent stars are the same species but for an unknown reason some grow the little spikes ( brittle ) and some stay smooth
( serpent ). i have about 10 all together. they were all hitch hikers, some are very small. i have never target fed them. they do stick their legs out of the rocks at feeding time and grab whatever food floats by and will readily take a small piece of shrimp or fish

steve r

I just drop a sinking pellet of the spiriubin tablet in there and it comes out running"dragging' out :wink:

Back
Top Bottom