How powerful is the sting of an anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm really interested in getting an anemone some time in the distant future. I really like the Rose and carpet anemone's. The biggest concern is that it will crawl over all my corals stinging them as it goes. How powerful is the sting? I imagine it won't kill the coral just by touching it once will it? I"m assuming that the sting would take a few days or so to kill a coral giving me time to move the coral if the anemone settled next to one.

BTW, I'm assuming the strength varies with each type of anemone.

jamal-188 said:
I imagine it won't kill the coral just by touching it once will it? I"m assuming that the sting would take a few days or so to kill a coral giving me time to move the coral if the anemone settled next to one.
A brush of the anemone will rarely do any permanent damage. It really depends on the health of the coral. They are well protected by natural mucus coatings. Long term exposure will definately be a concern. Soft corals tend to be the most reliant.

BTW, I'm assuming the strength varies with each type of anemone.
The sting will vary by type but also by how healthy it is. A specimen in peak condition can give you a good welt just by brushing up against it. A healthy coral should still withstand it though.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom