How to acclimate a cleaner shrimp successfully?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rnb62679

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bout a cleaner shrimp and I am doing the drip acclimation, how long do I have to do it for and is there anything else I need to know in order for it to stay alive since I know they are very fragile. Also do I need to check anything before I put him in my tank besides the temperature of the waters.

You should make sure that the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and salinity are all in check too. What size tank do you have and what fish? Fish Only, FOWLR, or Reef?

I have a 50gal tank I have 5 chromis and a selfin tang and some live rocks.... Do I have to check both the tank and the container where I am acclimating the shrimp until they match?

1. Sailfin Tangs need 125+ gallon tanks
2. No, but you should check all of the parameters in the tank to make sure they are ok to out your shrimp in.
3. Has your tank cycled?

yes tank has cycled, I have a small selfin but yes I am aware that he will need a bigger tank which I am planning on getting next year. I checked my water in the tank this morining and everything was ok nitrate was a little high but nothing drastic, I will be doing a water change in the next couple days.

Then I would drip acclimate the shrimp for 1 and a half hours. This worked for me, but others say 3+ hours. I do not think it is necessary, just the 1.5 hours should be ok :) you can go longer if you want though.

I am at a little over 3hrs already, so do I check the parameters in the water where the shrip is at right now??

No, because the parameters are probably the exact same as of now. You can put the shrimp in the main tank. I hope you like him!

Back
Top Bottom