How to add sand to my tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 132g has just got filled up with saltwater for the first time yesterday now I regret that I have got not enough sand in it. The sand cloud has since cleared up any idea how can I add more sand to avoid another sand storm in the tank??? The tricky part is that it has also got some liverocks in there since this morning and I don't want the sand storm to mess up/cover up my liverocks.

Hope you guys can help me out here. You can see my pics at member saltwater tank section. Thanks guys.

Ok weekf lets see, I`ve heard others use a PVC pipe. Just get a 2 ft piece of pipe and put one end down at the bottom of tank and put sand in other end and let it slide down the pipe to the bottom. Move pipe slowly to where you need it. This will prevent sand from falling through your water and creating a dust storm.

Nice idea melosu, really appreciate it. Thanks.

You can be as careful as is humanly possible and you will still get some sand on the rock. It will still be a little cloudy looking for a day or two. Except for annoying YOU, this really wont be a big issue. After putting the sand in, wait a day and then take a cheap turkey baster (1.99) at walmart, and gently squirt water at the rock to remove the sand.

I agree with the rest. Since you don't have livestock, a sand storm is not a big deal. I used a bowel, put the sand in it and sunk the bowel slowly, then dumped it out. Turn off your phs and filters.

Back
Top Bottom