How to clean the outside of my old fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnestroy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a very old tank, 20-25yr old, the glass is become hazy, is there any super chemicals I can try to bring some life back into the glass?

I'm only worried about the outside of the tank for now :)

Thanks

Windex, straight vinegar, CLR, will all work, to some degree. Uless the glass is hazy from being scratched on the inside (I have one like that), it should clean up, though you may not see any difference if you only clean the outside. It is better to attack both sides together. Small tanks can be run through the dishwasher, with detergent.

Vinegar always worked well for me if it's just hard water deposits. If it's fine scratches, though, somtimes the haziness will be less noticable when there's water in the tank.

When I clean my old tanks I take a bucket of water and put a capful of bleach in the bucket and clean the tank with that. You must let it completely air dry. They say that if you let it air dry the chlorine will dissapate. But I always like to add dechlorinator when I set the tank up just in case.

Back
Top Bottom