How to control algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm aware that 10 gallon aquariums are notoriously bad for algae anyway, but I seem to be having problems on my rocks now. I have attached 2 pictures. Af first, I was just annoyed by the green "carpet" algae growing on the right rock. It traps bubbles sometimes, and I don't like the way it looks.

However, last week I took all the rock out for several minutes (10-20?) to clean the aquarium and do a water change. Now I am noticing white spots on the right side of the middle rock and on the back of the right rock. Could this be a little dieoff from the 10-20 minutes I had the rock out of the aquarium?

In any case, how can I control this "green carpet" algae growth? Also, the "brown hair" algae I seem to have trouble controlling on the crushed coral? Could I put some crabs and snails in there to eat it? If so, what kind? Would it be a bad idea to scrub the rock with a new toothbrush?

Paul

I dont see much of anything????
have you tested your water for phosphates, nitrates? how old is the tank, what kind of water do you use.

I don't have a phosphate test at the moment, but I do intend to get one. Last nitrate test was just over 20 ppm.

I had been using tap water initially, which I am sure is what caused this issue. However, the last time I did a water change I used 5 gallons of RO water from my local grocery store. I have also been using RO water for daily evaporation topoffs. I intend to get my own RO/DI unit in the near future. The tank is almost 2 months old now.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom