How to control Anthelia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndySmithers

Aquarium Advice Regular
Some time ago I bought a rock with yellow polyps.
After a couple months some tan colored anthelia (sp?) emerged from this rock. They've subsequently reproduced all over the tank and are now the dominant species.
Any ideas on how to control these?
They don't seem to be aggresive to any of the other corals (mostly softies due to pc lighting) but have just got to the point where they are not attractive anymore.

Ideas?

TIA.
Andy.

Any way to get a pick? It sounds like it could actually be aptashia. Do a search for this type of pest anenome and see if it is what you have.

lando said:
Any way to get a pick? It sounds like it could actually be aptashia. Do a search for this type of pest anenome and see if it is what you have.

Hehe,
No offence Lando - 2 years inthis hobby by no means makes me an expert but it does make me able to distinguish between anthelia and aiptasia. :D
As you can see from the attached pic , it doesn't make me into a photographer!

Oddly enough - funny you should mention aiptasis. I DO have a few of these - everyone has always raved about how they "sting everything in sight" - anyone ever actually witnessed this behaviour, my few seem to live in harmony with all the corals of various types in their vicinity. I have got a peppermint that keeps them mostly in check though....
[/img]

No offense taken. the pic clears it up. Any chance the LFS would want some? Might be able to make a trade.

lando said:
No offense taken. the pic clears it up. Any chance the LFS would want some? Might be able to make a trade.

Hmmm.... LFS in Tyler, Texas!! :lol:
Might as well look for a good fishmonger!

But seriously, how do I get these critters off the rock? Touch them harshly and they shrink to nothing, like trying to grab a forkful of sand!
And yet they are tough to remove from the rock - tried tugging, cutting, scraping.

Strange problem to have, I'll admit. Any thoughts on getting something to compete with them?

I had an anthelia colony that was getting too close to some other corals and I took a razor blade to it. I tried to pick as much of the base as I could but I got most of it. It has been a few days and I now see that I left a few nubs. They are growing again. :?

I removed what I cut and put in my nano tank. Hopefully I will get the LFS to take some :)

I started with 1 small polyop and after a few months it looked like yours... I hated the stuff.. I would scrape it off the Lr with my finger nails and a blade. I went as far as covering it with LR pieces to kill it. Do you have and kalk? try nuking it, that stuff kills other types of polyps.. Jus teep an eye on your cal and alk.

I have the same stuff and it is just as much a pain for me as it is for you. Actually ellisz can thank me for his his anthelia issues, :D . I generallt just rip it off the rocks when it gets out of hand. I don't even frag it anymore just throw it away. It cannot be nuked with kalk, it cannot be removed with a toothbrush, Just scrape and scrape and eventually you will get it all.

If you find a sure fire method short of replacing your rock, let me know.

R-

Actually ellisz can thank me for his his anthelia issues,

I think you you everytime I see that stuff :)

I got $45 for about 6 bunches anthelia and a xenia frag at the LFS last time I went in :) I just check if they need anything before I go. It is getting hard lately though. Everybody has xenia.

Don't get us wrong SWTeen, it can be a pain but all-in-all it a pretty, simple, and nice soft coral to have. When kept in check a large colony swaying in the current will aww viewers of your tank.

R-

Back
Top Bottom