How to do deal with traveling/moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Langemc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For the past year or so I have been reading up on what I need to do to get a sw tank started, but one of my biggest concerns before I make the investment is this

1) How hard is it to leave a sw aquarium for a few days if you need to travel.

2) If in a year or so I have to relocate because of my job, is it possible to move your tank without damaging any of my tanks inhabitants

I do not travel alot and I'm not expecting to have to move, but at the same time I would like to be prepared in the event these things do happen.

Thanks for any advice in advance

You can not-feed your tank for a few days.

Yes you can move your tank, but how far are you moving?

im not planning on moving but say i had to move to an area within two hours driving distance, i appreciate your help zacdl

Oh two hours would be easy :)

You just wanna save as much aquarium water as you can so it wont start a big cycle.

Use buckets, airstones, etc. put some towels over the buckets as then the fish cant "See" out and want to jump.

If you are leaving feed them right before you leave and right when you come back, they will be OK.

I think if its 5 days or more I would have someone feed them a few times a week.

awesome I think that seals the deal, :lol: now I'll start making decisions on my tank and it's specs

thanks again

BTW make sure your car has air conditioning :)

Dont leave the fish in the car either. Would it be possible to setup another tank in your new home? You could transport like half of the water to the new tank, keep it running, then bring your fish and the rest of the stuff with you.

Actually the water doesn't matter as much. You want to keep as much substrate and any other media (live rock, filter media, etc) moist and aerated so that the benefical bacteria don't die. The water itself doesn't contain useful bacteria.

Pghjeff71 said:
Actually the water doesn't matter as much. You want to keep as much substrate and any other media (live rock, filter media, etc) moist and aerated so that the benefical bacteria don't die. The water itself doesn't contain useful bacteria.

True, but it does contain the trace elements (Iodine, etc that you have to add)

Saving as much water as possible is important but not for bacterial reasons. The fish are acclimated to it's chemistry and it makes the transition back that much less stressful to them. If you can save as much as 50% (or more) all the better. You must also ensure not to feed them the day before transport and not until a day after being placed back in the newly re-set up system. You should be sure to toss out any transport water as it will cause fouling depending on the number of animals to be transported.

If at all possible you should go a day ahead to the new location and prepare as much new SW as possible, this can be very important. That way you will have some back up water as you will end up losing a good % with the transport. The sand can stay in the tank with an 1" or so of water to keep in moist depending on depth. You do not want too much weight in the tank or the seems will be stressed and cause possible leaking when moved. The rock can be transported in a styro box(s) with SW soaked towels unless encrusted with corals you may need deep pails with only enough water to cover the rock. I would also suggest bagging as many animals as possible start with corals (if any) and the fish last just before leaving. Once at the new local, get the tank set up and heated ASAP. Start floating the fish to equalize temp first thing while you are arranaging the rock. Once the temp is good open the bags and add a few drops of an ammonia detoxifier. Acclimate the fish and then begin acclimating the corals. Do not do both at the same time unless you have ample room. The corals will fair much longer than the fish. Once all is said and done, turn off the lights to help with any stress the fish may be feeling. Keep an eye on the temp and general fish behavior for problems for the next few hours.

The key to success is being properly prepared at the new location. The more you can do there, the less stressful this will be for both you and the aniamls.

Cheers
Steve

I was going to suggest him go ahead a day early and take like half of the water, but he would have to get a new tank to do that (unless this is your purpose :) )

5 gallon pails work amazingly well for this purpose. A large brute container at the other end will also make this easier. One container for the new SW means it can be continually aerated and temp adjusted when the new tank is set up, plumbed and ready for water.

Cheers
Steve

I think you need to get some 5 gallon buckets throw some airstones in each one, take all the fish and water you can on one trip, and grab the tank on the second trip (unless you can do it all at once).

But since its a 2 hour trip you wanna make sure you have all day to do this :)

zacdl said:
But since its a 2 hour trip you wanna make sure you have all day to do this :)
Indeed, it took me 12 hours to move a single reef tank across town. Do try to prepare properly before hand so the entire transport/set up can be accomplished in one trip. ie.. rent if you need the extra room :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I have moved a fish tank 3 times and have one more move to go before living in our NON-RENTED, permanent home. This should not be a deciding factor. If you do have to move for some reason, you can do it. Everytime we have moved we have lost no fish. Corals I can not say because I just got into corals two years ago. Just have one day or evening (depending on tank isze) dedicated to it...you will need it. Believe me, saltwater is a captivating hobby! My husband grumbles when I start spending money on the tank, but when he sits down and watches all the activity in the tank or shows his buddies the tank I sit back and let him soak it in. That way I know he won't give me such a hard time! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom