how to enhance green star polyps color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidmaguirre

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello I have some green star polyps in my 29 gallon biocube stock lighting that have a tint of green but they are mainly all brown.? They are doing great and are open all the time and seem to be growing but I went to my lfs and they had some gsp's in a 14 gallon biocube with stock lighting and they were very very very neon green? How can I enhance my gsp's color?

There are several colors and types of star polyps so yours might be a form of the pink star polyps.

Where they green to start with?

They had green on them and they still do but my lfs said they are green star polyps?

I am thinking it could be your light. I know I can put polyps in 3 different tanks of mine and they all look like they are different colors. Don't believe everything a LFS tells you I have gotten foxtail and leather sold to me as mushrooms. I knew what I was looking at so when I got them home I knew how to care for them.

I had the same problem as you, they were starting to turn brown.

My green star polyps definately turned more green when I turned on and kept my Metal halides on for a longer period of time. I also moved them higher in the tank.

Hmmm I think its about time to change my light bulbs.. the light is still strong but the bulbs might be warn out.. hopefully new bulbs will bring out the colors of my coral better? It's been about a year since I last changed the bulbs lol

Discoloration is caused from high amount of nutrients in the water or not enough lighting. If there not enough light they will turn brown because they are producing there own food if the light is enhanced the pigments will increase in the coral. As long as the water is not high in nutrients

Back
Top Bottom