How to explain to your friends.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman2

Aquarium Advice Activist
That you have a hundred dollars spent on "pet rocks" and still need a lot more. Yep they are laughing at me. Of course the first words out of the mouth of the one friend that has actually seen the tank.

"now thats cool"

Maybe I should carry a picture around with me in my wallet and see if that helps when the laughter breaks out.

Show them the LR.com website and show them what a reputable and profitable buisness the SW industry is and then tell them that what you are trying to do is recreat a slice of the ocean in your living room.

Ask them if they would like to be kept in a cardboard box with all the amenities or none at all! Then you can tell them that the LR is your fishies ammenities!!!!

Don't worry I get it all the time ... "WHAT .. you spent $60 on one rock??" At least you know it's money well spent. I tell my wife that next time I have $60 extra I can either go to the local "Girly" club or to the LFS???? Guess which one she chooses!?

Jermz

"WHAT .. you spent $60 on one rock??"

man I wish they cost that little :p

i have two rocks that were 150-230ish each

but then again, they are show pieces!

I stole them from Brenden before they had a chance to ship them out to his monster of a tank...

how old are you? when i was in highschool my friends made fun of me for my aquarium hobby. nowdays instead of dropping jokes, they drop their jaws.

I am just getting into the hobby, and this is a serious question...

How much did it cost you to make your friends jaws drop?

Count on about 30$/gallon of tank capacity (and realize that it is easier to have a 55 than a 10) give or take depending on what you get from local reefers/resale v. LFS v. online. I've easily got 30$/g in my tanksssss.

I'm *well* out of HS and still people get all bug eyed if I tell them I dropped 100 on an eel or fish!

I loved telling my friends that I plowed three grand ($$) into my tank and still had NO FISH!!

Good thing was most of my friends had similarly obsessive hobbies so I didn't feel so bad.

The honest truth: If i had known what it actually took to sustain this hobby I would have taken the money and just visited a real reef off Cozumel.

Now that I'm knee deep into it, it is becoming quite fascinating.

Mike

No one ever said the hobby was cheap! Considering my husband spends an average of $2,500 on each airplane for his model hobby and I've spend close to that on my whole setup and I'm pretty much done, it's not too bad!

It could be worse, you could be like me and get one set up and figure, "What the heck" and start on a second one!

Back
Top Bottom