How to feed after installing overflow........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copester

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I installed a new sump on my 30 hex with a new lifereef overflow. Since I am new to this setup I guess I am suppose to turn off the pump while feeding because the food just gets sucked in the overflow before the fish get it. Is this right or anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

I have always turned off the main pump the skimmer and any type of "filter", just leaving the powerheads on to feed. I usually run all the stuff to be turned off for feeding to one "six way" strip outlet that has an on/off switch, makes it easy to turn them all off at once.

Feeding

Yeah thats the ticket, I'm glad I thought of that.....Right?

I have been holding the food under the water for a second and then letting it go, so it doesn't float...But, somehow it makes it to the overflow....I will implement that method now.... :twisted:

Greetings.

When I feed my fish, I just let the water return spray bar take care of the food moving it around the tank. So basically, top, middle and bottom feeders are fed.

I do not turn off any pumps either. My food generally sinks some so very little gets sucked into the overflow. I like the extra flow to blow the food around.

I shut my pumps down once a week for about 20min when I do my weekly LARGE feeding.

Seems like I feed smaller bits of food during the week and then once a week I mix up a big batch of frozen seafood cubes and brine and pour it in so not only the fish are feed but also some of the meat liking corals.

After about 20 min I start the main pump up again.

i turn off my overflow and skimmer, my 500gph power filter and 300gph powerhead,still move the water enough no filters just for current. i do it for 1hr because i feed marine snow. 8) i also put some flake in my refugium for my bugs.

i don't usually turn anything off but just feed on the side opposite of my overflow and by the time it reaches the overflow it has sunk enought that it doesn't get sucked up.

Back
Top Bottom