How to get algae to grow on LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skip_16157

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is their a method or a way to get some green algae to grow on my LR? I have only coraline algae growing. I would like to get some algae growth for my yellow tang and angel to graze? Any suggestions?

(I am using only NO lighting at the time)

Thanks!

Hmmm...most of us are working late nights trying to keep the algae out. I never thought about trying to grow some. The NO lighting may not be strong enough to get the algae going. What you could do, and I realize that this is not very convenient, is take a container with some salt water and add a small piece of rock to it. Then set it where it will get direct sunlight. I would bet that the rock will be covered with algae in a short time. Then you could put that in the tank for the tang and replace it with another small rock. Tangs like caulerpa very much. You might want to set up a small tank (if you don't have a refugium) and try growing some of this. Another option (probably safer) is to get some dried algae or seaweed and clip it to the side of the tank for the tang to graze on. Any good LFS should have this stuff...it comes in small thin sheets and any herbivorous fish seems to love it.
Logan J

You may also check with friends to see if they have some macro they could give you from time to time. Your lights will not support macro algae growth. Hair algae seems to grow under any lights so I'm surprised you don't have any of that especially with a newer tank and it's high nutrient level. You must have an excellent biofilter and skimmer working for you.
Logan's idea (dried Nori) is really the most practical and the easiest. I might suggest you look for it at an Oriental restaurant or health food store rather than a LFS. Make sure it is unseasoned Nori.

what kinds of algae are good! I have growth on my glass that is brown but my turbo snails do a good job.

What is Calupera and Macro algae?

What does coraline algae do? Is it good?

Can I get some hair algae from my LFS and implant it somehow?

Will Nori be good for a flame angel?

I am feeding roamine lettuce, frozen brine, pygmy angel formula and flakes and the Flame doesn't seem to like any right now. That why I questioned algae. The tang is eating the romaine.

I will work on the Nori and get some. I don't know of any local health food store nearby besides GNC, and the Oriental's can't speak english to well and I sure can't speak their's.

Thank again for the help?

Can I get some hair algae from my LFS and implant it somehow?
Don't wish for that whatever you do! People work long and hard to get rid of it. Ugly, undesirable and prolific.

I will work on the Nori and get some. I don't know of any local health food store nearby besides GNC, and the Oriental's can't speak english to well and I sure can't speak their's.
I saw one place selling it from a glass display case beneath the counter. You don't need to speak Chinese, it says unseasoned Nori on the bag. Might be able to get it online.

What is Calupera and Macro algae?
An internet search for "caulerpa" will turn up volumes of info. Simply put, Caulerpa alga are the "plants" of SW tanks.

how old is the tank? i would have to guess less than a year. a pc light would work great,in time. don't rush it. (you will get your alga). romain is what my purple eats 1 leaf a day. caulerpa is a expensive treat in my area.10.00 a bunch. it's gone in 2 days. been 5yrs on romain going strong. 8) coralline alga is the cement of reef building. it holds your rock together, and looks nice.

Back
Top Bottom