How to handle crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blorkiemom

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know I've seen this discussed but I can't find it now . . . how do you get a crab from bag/tank when he's acclimated? I usually dump fish into a net so I don't transfer any LFS water, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to net crabs with their itty bitty feet . . . should I risk the traces of LFS water that might be left in the bag and just dump (on the bottom of the tank)? Pick up with gloves? Use a slotted spoon?

A very fine brine shrimp net works well for small inverts, otherwise use your hands, preferably wearing gloves.

Just use your hands...
they aren't gonna take off a finger...
I take everything from my bag dump it into my hands @ the kitchen sink then walk to the living room and drop em in the tank...

Hee, XX Firefighter, wasn't worried about taking off a finger! More like my hands would be bad for him. The crab in question is an emerald, BTW, and I have to say I'm amazed at how much he poops! He hung out on a rock all night stuffing algae into his mouth as fast as his claws would go and this morning the whole rock is surrounded by crab poop. Man, he has a busy digestive system!

Back
Top Bottom