How to keep a snowflake in the tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I woke up this morning to find my snow flake in one of my hangon filter. Are there companys that make the plastic attachments for the hoods that can be cut and put in place to tighten up security. Any ideas would be great.

Sounds like this guy is rather small. My normal recomendation would be to get some eggcrate and cut it to fit over your tank and then weigh that down with some rocks or something like that. But it sounds like your eel might be smaller in diamater than the little squares in the eggcrate.

Like FF said, eggcrate is the way to go unless you eel can fit through the holes. Then you need to consider making a top out of some Plexiglass.

fishfreek said:
Sounds like this guy is rather small. My normal recomendation would be to get some eggcrate and cut it to fit over your tank and then weigh that down with some rocks or something like that. But it sounds like your eel might be smaller in diamater than the little squares in the eggcrate.

What if he used some screen door material to cover the eggcrate or even made some kind of frame and covered it with screen?

Some people will make a ledge all the way around the tank, about 3 inches in out of plexiglass. When the eel goes up the side of the tank, it will run into the barrier.
They go out from the sides, not the center, so by making this inner lip on your tank, you keep them in.

rdefino said:
I woke up this morning to find my snow flake in one of my hangon filter. Are there companys that make the plastic attachments for the hoods that can be cut and put in place to tighten up security. Any ideas would be great.

You can also pick up a sheet of Lexan from OSH or some other HW store.
I used a pair of snips, plastic razor blade tool, and some files to cut a custom fitting cover for the back of my canopy.

Here is a picture of it....

[center:f1939085f1]
6922lexan.jpg
[/center:f1939085f1]

Back
Top Bottom