How to lower salinity.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

franktobia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I get pre mixed water from my lfs and the salinity is a bit high (.6). How can I lower it.

Also I have a 37 gallon tank with 5 fish, cleaner shrimp, crabs, snails, and two hard corals.

Test it out with fraction. Take 1/10th of a gallon and add x oz. Of ro, see what it takes to get sg where you want and multiply by 10 and do the Gallon. By .06 you mean .026? What are measuring with?

Ive found it's a good idea to buy a refractometer because almost all of the swing-arm hydrometers are unreliable, especially if they arent rinsed well after each use.

URbZsYu.png

I grew up in point pleaseant beach. If you are interested in catching your own trops. There are plenty that come up with the gulf stream all you need is a small seign net. I can tell you where to go. I use to get triggers,butterflies,seahorses that actualy eat clams and frozen foods. Wrasses some times blue and French angel babies. They come up with the gulf stream every summer.

I'll take this opportunity to address the continued regulation of catching animals from our oceans. This can be illegal or require special permits. Please do not participate in such activities as it can lead to heavy fines/jail time.
That aside, in terms of staying on topic, simply remove salt water and replace it with an equal amount of ro/di water from what was removed. I believe there are calculators that can be searched for to assist with exact amounts removed/added, but after awhile it will become second nature for you. I haven't measured anything out exactly on my just replaced 55 or my now running red sea 500 in years. Never any issues except for 1 mistake that was made in the rush of moving into a new house. You'll get into a groove with it.

Back
Top Bottom