How to lure a Brittle Star out of LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLHoenig

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone got any ideas for how to lure a large (very large!) brittle star out of hiding, without moving the rocks out of the tank? It's a 29g NanoCube.

Fortunately, if I have to move the rocks, it's a stack of only two; and the smaller one can remain in place. It's not like I don't have the means; I've got two 5g buckets, after all...I just don't want to risk not being able to regain the current balance (physical and aesthetic).

I've tried baiting him with raw shrimp and raw scallop but the best I get is three arms, and the other tank denizens make their presence known as well.

Might he just let go if he notices the water draining from the rock as I transfer it between tank and bucket? Or is there some process of getting him to give up his home and dive into a bucket full of "fresher" water?

Hmmm...that just prompted an idea: suspend his hiding-place above a couple of inches of fresher water, with about ¼" - ½" submerged, for maybe 10-15 minutes (or longer?) while maintaining wet surfaces for the other organisms with a spray bottle...

I could try this during next weekend's WC...

Might even get rid of the largest bristle worms from the rocks at the same time; and/or collect a few of the small brittle stars as well...

Comments & suggestions...?

to be honest I would just leave him be as he is a good part of the clean up crew ,
as for big Bristol worms be sure to wear long gloves those bristles are nothing to play with , I keep a coffee can outside with diesel to smother them in , If there under 3 inch I wouldn't be concerned to much with them , now anything larger yes I would bait a soda bottle or water bottle to catch them , I used to grab them with tweezers till I learned the hard way ,

I figure, since he's so big, he deserves a bigger house...and his current dozen or so neighbors deserve more room to roam & grow...

Got no plans to mess with bristle worms; just hoping a few might choose to leave the rocks on their own.

I have a serpent almost 24inch I had him a little over 6 years he is my biggest
I have about ten others ranging from 6inch all the way up to 18inch
they don't move around much they are fun to watch at feeding as they reach out for food
my big guy started in my 37g and just moved with my upgrades , they don't need much room as they squeeze into the nooks and cranny's in the rocks
brittle star body's are a little thinner than serpents but they still do the same thing
almost forgot about the litter of baby's around 20 2+inch

your stars should be ok enjoy them and they are great in your CUC

Back
Top Bottom