how to measure magnesium above 1600 with red sea test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm raising my mag levels with tech-m to try and git rid of this bryopsis problem I have. heard it works wonders. We will see. Anyway, I have a red sea test kit but the magnesium only tests up to 1600ppm. How to I test beyond that ?

I read somewhere that you can use half tank water and half ro/di water for the test. What ever the result is..just double it and you will get your reading. Just wondering if anyone has done that..

I have had magnesium level at 1600+ for a very long time without dosing. I could be due to regular weekly water changes and the salt mix I use. Even if the OP got a precise reading above 1600 what's the best way to lower magnesium?

I have had magnesium level at 1600+ for a very long time without dosing. I could be due to regular weekly water changes and the salt mix I use. Even if the OP got a precise reading above 1600 what's the best way to lower magnesium?
What salt mix are you using? I don't know of any with that much mag. If that was truly the case, you could switch salt mixes.

What salt mix are you using? I don't know of any with that much mag. If that was truly the case, you could switch salt mixes.

Red Sea Coral Pro. Mag was high even before I started using this salt mix. I doubt switching will help. May be I've been getting false reads due to a defective test.

The dude told me at the LFS if I get out of range with 1ml, then add another 1ml to the titration seringe.

I think the idea of cutting it with 50% RODI can work... Just give it a try ?

I just looked at the directions and that's what your suppose to do with the Red Sea test and another 1ml

Back
Top Bottom