How to place new arrival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just received a new feather duster. It is out of its tube in the bag. How do I place it in the tank after acclimation? Thanks.

After I drip acclimated my cocoworm I just found a place with medium flow and stuck the end of the tube in the sand so that it wouldn't fall. My LFS said regular tubeworms need their tubes buried in the sand while cocoworms don't, but otherwise they need pretty much the same requirements.

Make sure to feed it some marine snow or small bits of food too!

You think he will be ok till he grows a new shell? Nothing will eat him will they? I have damsels, clownfish, sailfin tang, coral beauty, and cuc. No shrimp though.

The entire worm is out of the tube? Wow, that's rare. I thought you meant the head/crown was out like when they're feeding, not that he completely abandoned his tube.

I know they can regrow their tubes and there have been people who have had their tubeworms leave their tubes to make a new one. From what I understand the tubeworm will crawl under a rock or something and begin to build a new tube, but it will need plenty of calcium in the water to regrow the tube.

As for your fish I'm not sure if anyone would bother the worm as long as they can't get to him. Hopefully someone can chime in with the compatibilty.

Any idea why he would vacate his tube? Also you should totally take pictures because seeing a whole tubeworm is amazing.

dlsrks said:
Just received a new feather duster. It is out of its tube in the bag. How do I place it in the tank after acclimation? Thanks.

Not rare at all place worm near a over hang he will construct a new tube give him a few days. I dont know if ur fish will bother with it if u want to be safe wait a bit after lights out and put him in.

Thanks. Placed him in there but the hermit crabs are real interested in him. May place him in the sump if they get too aggressive with him.

keep a eye on the coral beauty he may nip at it ,
you could place him in your sump next to his tub he may rehome it or intill he grows a new shell otherwise he may get beat up by hermits and fish

My LFS said regular tubeworms need their tubes buried in the sand while cocoworms don't, but otherwise they need pretty much the same requirements.

that is total myth
not one of my dusters are buried in the sand there all placed in rock work and attatched to the rocks in no time they even multiplyed which they say they never do like the small ones

between the fish and crabs and everything else in tank stiring around sand they get pleanty of sand to form bigger tubs

Back
Top Bottom