How to reduce nitrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I have been having problem with NO3, its really going higher and higher, 50mg/l now. I'm afraid it will go up some more. What should I do to removes it? What is the best way and the most efficient and fastest way? I feed my fishes 2 to 3 times daily, 2 mins the most per feeding. I already place in "tetra nitrate minus" last week, but it did'nt seems to help out. Should I replace my filter wool with a new one? Is nitrifying bacteria enough for coping with the tank waste if I replace the filter wool? I have around 6kg of LR in my 13 gal tank. BTW I did water changes every week, around 10%. I tested my new water for changing, no NO3 presence.
My water paremeter are:
NO2: 0
NO3: 50mg/l
NH3: 0
pH : 8.0
Temp: 27 DegreeC

you can definitly reduce the feeding in you tank. Two to three time daily for 2 min is way to much. Considering that it is a relatively small tank. I say no more than a small pinch of food twice a day, but instend of everyday, make it every other day.
Your water changes and other things are good. I dont believe in denitrate stuff, I think most just mask the reading on your test kits. Also try putting in some macro algea in your main tank, that might help too..but definitly cut down on the feeding.

What fish do you have in the tank and how many will help.

I'll start reducing the amount of food given, btw in order for DSB to convert nitrate into nitrogen gas, is it at least a 10cm (4 inch) of sand bed is required? My sand bed is just 5cm (2 inch).

I agree with what has been said about feeding. I feed my fish once a day and that is it.

Also, like Coralmushroom pointed out, a 2 inch sand bed really isn't deep enough for good denitrification to take place. It still will, assuming the sand bed isn't disturbed by vacuuming, etc.., however to get any real effectiveness here, a minimum 4" DSB is recommended.

In lieu of these items, there are a few other things that can be done. Protein skimming and running GAC will help remove DOC's from the water. The less DOC's available to break down the better as this will slow the nitrate increase. Also, growing and maintaining your own algae (as in a refuge) is a great way to keep nitrates down. Most people who have fuges plumbed into their systems have a reading of 0 for nitrates. There are also a few products on the market that claim to remove nitrates from the water. Seachem's Purigen and de*nitrate are examples of these types of products.

I hope some of this helps. Unfortunately without some type of actually removal process for nitrate (water changes alone wont' do) nitrate will continue to climb on an upward graph...

are you using anything else for filtration? if you have any kind of bio wheel for example, they will usually store nitrates, and make it harder to remove them.

I just have a hang on back filter, a protein skimmer and a power head. There is a cooling fan operating 24 hrs too. Does marine plants help to reduce NO3? I just bought one, like a bush, green in colour, all attaching to a LR.

Does marine plants help to reduce NO3? I just bought one, like a bush, green in colour, all attaching to a LR

Marine plants = Algae. So yes, they do help in the removal of nitrates. That is why refugiums are gaining momentum as being an integral part of any reef system.

Back
Top Bottom