How to Semi-Perminatly fix a powerhead into place.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to fix a powerhead into my tank, but the succion cups won't hold to the glass for the life of me [ I made sure to scrape algea/slime off the area, and made sure the cups were clean ].

I want some way that I can attach it to the glass, and have it stay forever. But not to strong where It would be impossible to pop it off if I need to move or replace it.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking superglue gel, I recall discussion about it being used to attach corals to live rock, Would it a dab in each suction cup hold it onto the glass strongly?

I use a combination of the hangon attachment that came with mine and suction cups to suspend it in the corner, mid-way in the tank, and a directional attachment to flow....

...as far as suction.. its only so effective, and never permanent.

Superglue...? *curious as well*

For Maxijets, I use the bracket that comes with the PH to hang it on the lip of the tank. If you don't have a canopy, this would be all you need. My canopy gets in the way so use a zip tie and a small plastic clip as well to secure it. When the suction cups fail, it just hangs loosely. This sometimes disturbs things but it is better than a sand storm. The maxijet bracket clip just butts up against the bottom of the black trim on the tank. I can take a pic if you like.

The clips I use are spare pieces from mini blinds. Acrylic is easily bent with a lighter though for small jobs.

HTH

I glue them to the larger algae scraping magnets, works quite well, but increases the profile. Another option is to suction it in place and the tighten the cord and use duct tape to tape the cord to the back of the tank, this relieves the pressure on the suction cups for having to hold the weight.

I like the idea of using cable ties, and a little hook or eye-bolt in the canopy, just to prevent it from completely going down into the sand (which I just had the displeasure of dealing with on new years day).
Definitely need to setup something like that on my tank, and soon!

Use a long clear acrylic sheet, zip tie the power head to the acrylic and lean the acrylic sheet against the back wall at the desired location and the power head position can be adjusted veritically by moving it up or down on the acrylic.

I don't have a canopy, just a glass hood.

and I really want something thats not going to be a eyesore :-\

No ones said anything about the superglu gel..

I drilled a hole in a magnetic scraper (a really small one), then zip tied the ph to the magnetic scraper. The only drawback is that it pushed the ph slightly more away from the back wall of the tank.

reefrunner69 said:
I glue them to the larger algae scraping magnets, works quite well, but increases the profile. Another option is to suction it in place and the tighten the cord and use duct tape to tape the cord to the back of the tank, this relieves the pressure on the suction cups for having to hold the weight.

Posted at the same time as me yesterday, I didn't notice your post till now.

I do already do that, its like theh cups ain't holding at all and it just hangs from the cord. I don't run it when its hanging from the cord, which is why I want to fix it.

What do you use to glue? Just Superglu Gel?

Back
Top Bottom