How to set up Quarantine Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cconemanband

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My main tank is being cycled and is just about finished. On the advice of group members, I am setting up a quarantine tank.

My question is how to set it up. I have to do a 30/40% waterchange in the main tank to heop bring down my still very low amonia readings to 0.....could I use that water to put in the quartine tank.....would I just take some coral rock out of the main tank to put in the quartine tank? Anything else I need to know about quarantine tanks?

Because I am new to the group, I have not figured out how to put in the abbreviations in my text and I know they are handy and quick for group members to read. Could someone tell me how that is done?

Thanks everyone.....

Steve

Thanks Kurt for the link to the QT article.
What is a sponge filter? Is that just one of the "hang over the back" type with a sponge in it?

Just a trickle filter is enough. You can get a sponge( just a regular sponge) from your LFS and seed it with nitrifying bacteria from your main. Place it in your sump or filter in you main for a week or 2 and transfer it to the qt tank filter. That along with water from you main, and you have a ready to go qt .
Just don't get a sponge from the grocery store or something. Those are sometimes treated with chemicals that you don't want . :)

Back
Top Bottom