How to setup an external refugium? Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logman17

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all-

I am toying with an idea to use an external refugium for my 47.5 gallon setup.

I am having just a little trouble with the plumbing and setup.

Here is the basics:

1) the tank for the fuge is currently setup as a QT below my main tank in the stand. It is an eclipse 3 gallon tank with light and filter.

2) I don't have or even have room for a sump, so I am using a cannister filter.

3) I do have a couple of MJ1200's to use if necessary.

So my questions are like this:

How do I set this up so that I can go from the tank to the fuge and then back to the tank? Do I use a MJ1200 inside the main tank, push water down to the fuge, and then back up again with another mj1200? Or do I use 1 mj1200 and have is pushing the water from the fuge to the main tank and let gravity bring water down? (I don't have any overflows)

What would be the best way to set this up as an external stand alone refugium?

Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

I am a newbie with virtually no knowledge of aquarium plumbing.

TIA,

-Logan

You would have to use the fuge like a sump. You need an overflow but you will have to slow the water down as it enters the fuge so it won't disturb the sand. I guess you could use a MJ1200 for the return but it won't flow much at that head height. Your pump will have to be faster than the overflow.

Maybe you should see about using a rubbermaid container under your tank and create sections for a sump and/or fuge. I did this with a 20 gal tank for ahwile. Rubbermaids are easier as long as you can find one to fit under your stand and hold enough water.

Using 2 pumps in conjuntion is a recipe for a water mess.

I have seen it. I think it's awesome, but I would like to do it this way so I won't have a light on at night that I can see. The tank is in my living room and I am often forced to sleep on the couch when my wife thinks she's right about something (although it's hardly ever the case), so I would like to have it in my stand.

I also like not having anything sticking out of the top of my tank.

--Logan

Depending on your light set up on the main, you could just have cheato algae and it might get some "carry over" light from the main tank for a HOB fuge. I have a mini-fuge in a HOB filter and I don't light it at all. It gets some light from the main lights when they are on.

Could I use a strainer (like the one for a can. filter) like an overflow?

Would something like this overflow and flood?

I'm just looking for ideas.

Thanks,

-Logan

Back
Top Bottom