How to shut down a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to shut down my tank. I haven't had the time to take care of it, and the only thing left alive is copepods and maybe a hermit. I want to keep everything in the hopes of restarting it in a year or so, but I don't want to keep paying the electric bill if there aren't any fish or anything interesting to look at.

Do I just shut off all the pumps and heaters and drain it? The sand and rock will be wet but I guess it would eventually dry out.

I want to preserve things so I can start it up again, but I presume my LR and the attached coralline will all die. Do I have any options here other than selling it?

You won't be able to preserve anything but bacteria (keep wet). However, you can place the lr in a tub or trash can (new) and keep water circulating over it. This would involve a powerhead and a water change every 3-6mos. The sand can be placed (wet) in buckets and stored. It sounds to me like you don't want the hassle so I would just sell it off and save up for when you might want to start again.

Back
Top Bottom