how to stop ph fluctuation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackthunda77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i know this is a stupid question, but whats the best most precise way to stop ph fluctuation?? ive heard about some drip methods, but what tp drip with and how much.also to mix something with our top off water?? i have a 55 gal with 300 wats pc. i currently use perfect ph 8.2 but i have to add that stuff every two weeks.

The ph will natural fluxuate some during the day and night, rising during the day and lowering at night. You can stabalize this some by dripping kalkwasser during the night, but you should assure a need for CA and ALK supplamentation before taking this route, another method is to add a refugium with macro algae to your system and light it on an opposite schedule from your tank.

I don't recommend the perfect PH products as they ussually contain elements that cause problems in other areas (like phospate buildup).

Is it a fish only tank?

You might want to check to see if you need buffering (as reefrunner mentioned) and then perhaps get some Kent SuperBuffer. Be careful using this product too much can nail your PH high and you'll never get it down so go slow and test often. Once set though you will notice that the PH will become very stable and even adding acids won't cause a PH bounce. Of course this is just another alternative to dripping Kalkwasser (chalk water).

Tom

Back
Top Bottom