How to stop powerheads from being killers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gesh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know that water flow is important, so I have 4 powerheads (2 hagens, 2 power sweeps) in a 55 live rock with fish aquarium. Three had those sponge prefilters, one had a plastic grill attachment. First a small common starfish got killed in a powerhead by getting an arm stuck. Then another star got killed in the plastic grill, so I added a sponge prefilter to that one also. Then both my nudibranchs got mangled in the powerheads. Powerheads are necessary I know but this is silly, isn't it?

Details of my set-up: 55 gallon, 72 pounds lr, 130 watts combo fluorescent lighting clownfish, large lincolnia star, 3 serpent stars, 2 shrimp, an emerald crab, hermit crabs & snails. Plan is to add a blue tang, a royal gramma and a flame angel. Remora pro skimmer, change 7 gallons of water per week. All water parametres normal. Only exception is temperature, which is too high at 83 degrees. Thanks for all suggestions.

Good question, wish I had the answer. I lost a clown fish in my Powersweep. Once it happened I yanked the Powersweep out and have never put it back in.

I was not using the sponge pre-filter on mine, only the plastic which I thought would not allow a fish to get "sucked" in... I was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom