How to test Iodine level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Jobber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought an iodine test kit yesterday and got confused once I read the directions. It talked about testing for Iodide and Iodate and said that most supplements have one or the other or both while others have a different form which cannot be tested with the kit I bought. I also bought Kent Marine Iodine and I am not sure which it contains. This is really got me scratching my head. I want to be absolutely positive before I start dosing.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Dosing pure iodine in tanks can be risky as it is pretty potent. Most "iodine" suppliments are sold today are actually a form of potassium iodide, which is a bit less potent. However, I have seen no scientific data suggseting that the addition of Iodine is benefical to a reef tank. Most of the experience out there is anecdotal at best. Keep up with the regular water changes and your iodine levels should be just fine.

I recently added a Yellow Fiji Leather Coral to my 75 gallon tank. Its my first coral and did alot of reading before I purchased it. In my readings, I learned that it requires iodine and strontium to remain healthy. I just want to do things right so it survives. It seems like it doing well. Now that you mention it, I do remember reading potassium iodide on the ingredients label.

As Brian said PWC`s will provide all the iodine that your leather needs. I have 4 leathers in my tank and have never supplemented iodine. Weekly PWC`s will be enough.

Dosing iodine for this coral can do more harm then good. I would skip it. Just keep up on the weekly or bi-weekly water changes and you will be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom