How true is this ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
I was in a pet store yesterday and the guy said fish can't see red , is this true ?
I was going to buy a new net when I came across red ones , I asked the guy why they were so high in price $60. for a 6inch net is a bit out there.
well he came back with have you ever had a fish you just cant catch ,
well with these red nets you'll never have that problem again , he was trying so hard to sell me one of those nets , but I didn't bite , I figured he was pulling my leg for a quick sale,

I really would like to know if fish really cant see red .
it really could be nice to catch fish with out tearing a tank apart ,
and are these nets a new break through for the fish world ?
anyone have the answers (y)

Don't spend extra for a red net. They make no difference whatsoever IME.

From a bass fisherman's standpoint. Red hooks and such were/are targeted to fisherman looking to insight a strike from the fish. It's said that red insights a feeding/attack response?? On the other hand it's said that they can't see red beyond a certain point of depth/light penetration. At any rate I wouldn't bother with the red net.. they'll either be able to see it pretty well or attack it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do know that viewing the reef under red light at night doesn't seem to scare the critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I bought one for 5.00 at my LFS recently to give it a try. LOL, made no difference, my fish still knew it was a net!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

if I can find one for cheap maybe will try it , the $60. the pet shop wanted was just a little crazy, I have this one domino damsel I've been trying to catch for almost 6 months ,
I want to re-home him to my predator tank , he's just too mean for my reef tank ,
almost ready to just bait a hook to catch this bugger
I have been reading both positive and negative reviews on red nets been on Google
all morn reading up, so it sounds like it's either hit or miss

if I can find one for cheap maybe will try it , the $60. the pet shop wanted was just a little crazy, I have this one domino damsel I've been trying to catch for almost 6 months ,
I want to re-home him to my predator tank , he's just too mean for my reef tank ,
almost ready to just bait a hook to catch this bugger
I have been reading both positive and negative reviews on red nets been on Google
all morn reading up, so it sounds like it's either hit or miss

Your best bet is a fish trap.

Evolution may have played the rule to make fish receptive to ultra violet but not on red color or is it just a coincidence since red does not penetrate the deeper water unlike the ultra violet? It's like fish who have been exposed to total darkness for a long time and eyes are no longer necessary to survive so they develop to have to more eyes. In a sense, since there is no red light in deep ocean, so fish has no need to see red color. Just my opinion. BTW these 2 colors are on the opposite end of the light spectrum.

one thing I have done in the past with moderate success is to put the net in the tank and leave it for a day or two until the fish just accept it as décor. If it works, then they don't immediately run for cover when you try to net them.
I have had about 40% success with doing this.

the lfs I frequent most often usually just use the clear holding containers and herd the targeted fish into it. There is one guy there who can get just about any fish that way, it's friggin uncanny how the fish will just willingly swim into the container for this guy.
But maneuvering one of those in a display tank would be tough.
what is needed is a clear net. I wonder if monofilament could be used, but I imagine a net of it would just look white overall.

Back
Top Bottom