How venomous is a lionfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MANSTER

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've just acquired a dwarf fuzzy lionfish and would like to know how careful I really need to be when performing maintenance.

Are you alergic to bee stings? If so then take the same precautions you would when your in an area that has bees. They can be very dangerious if your overly sensitive to their toxin. The toxin is in the same faimly as bee toxin. It can cause swelling that if in the wrong location can cut off your air supply and cause death.

At the very least the sting would cause extreme pain and localized swelling.

I would be extremely careful with anything that can give a venomous sting. As stated above it is extremely painful. I don't believe you will have to worry about it attacking you. Just make sure you don't get too close.

I wouldn't be to sure on the not attacking part. I have two lions and they will charge you. Rather out of aggression, shear orneriness or food aggression, I'm not sure. I just know I can't put my hands in the tank without them coming after me. I never even fool with their tank unless my husband is with me except to do water changes. I never hurts to have another set of eyes watching out for them. They are comical though when they point their heads down and flare up. Good luck with your dwarf. Once they get to know you, there is no sneaking around them. Mine comes to the glass as soon as I enter the room. Lovely fish. Enjoy. :D

I'm with fluff, I dont work on my tank without a second set of eyes on the lion. I had neverf seen him get aggressive till I was trying to net another fish one day and tried to get him out of the way with a stick. He nailed the stick several times with his stingers before I could react to it. I learned a great deal of respect for him that day.

If I had a lionfish (which might be a possibility in the future), and it attacked me, resulting in me getting stung, I would release it into the ocean (2 min car ride, I'm too lazy to walk).

fishfreek said:
At the very least the sting would cause extreme pain and localized swelling.

My experience, but the reaction and pain can be minimised greatly by immersing the hand (usually the aprt stung) in as hot water as you can stand for 20-30 minutes....the heat breaks down the protein chains in the venom...I have used this method quite successfully for both volitan lion and coral catfish (Plotosus lineatus ) stings.

$imple said:
If I had a lionfish (which might be a possibility in the future), and it attacked me, resulting in me getting stung, I would release it into the ocean (2 min car ride, I'm too lazy to walk).

PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!

I cant stress the importance of NOT releasing hobby fish into the wild. Im fairly certin that the california water ways is NOT the natural habitat for this fish and releasing it into the wild can result in an enviormental inbalance. Thanks to such acts there are reports of lion fish up and down the east coast of the US. If you where not aware the costal atlantic is not the natural habitat of the lion.

Coralife makes a sturdy set of Aquagloves that I would put on a "must have list" for keeping a lionfish. I use them when working around the tank with my scorpionfish (Taenianotus triacanthus). With just a shade bit of practice they don't encumber you much at all.

Back
Top Bottom