huge aipastia infestation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeyt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys an' gals!

As mentioned in the title I have a huge problem with aipastia. I can currently see about 80 without looking to hard...

Really I'm after some nudibranch berghia to add to my tank but got no idea where to get them from.

Any advice on this would be massively appreciated!

Mike

The natural consumers of aiptasia are extremely hit or miss. I'd go on a massive killing spree with aiptasia-x or joe's juice. It will look daunting for sure, but it is the only guarantee. I fought a similar battle with vermetid snails using super glue to glue their door shut.

Peppermint shrimp aren't reliable.

If the aiptasia aren't crowding any corals and you can reach them just turn off your pumps and cover them in kalk paste for a while. Or use joes juice.

Personally I'm 2 for to with peppermint shrimp. Worked both times and the aipastasia never came back.

Aiptasia X did wonders for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Peppermints work for me as well. Had to many aptasias to count and put 2 peppermint shrimp in and within a week maybe 2 they where gone and have never come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If its as bad as it can be. then peppermints wont do the trick. I had a tank fullof them, some as big as a fist. lol I ended up nuking the rock and starting over. If you can I would start going after them with joes juice, kalk paste or aipastia x. Even better, see if you can borrow a zapper from a reef club member if you are in a club, or maybe check with your lfs. I borrowed one from a fellow reefer and it did wonders for that particular tank. It just melts them away to nothing. :) My 60g was too far gone even for a zapper though. :-(

I would try peppermints before nudibranches. I have seen them work on occasion. I would also manually kill whatever I could reach. Just kill a few each time you do a water change. You'll be under control before you know it. There are worse things in this hobby!

I understand not every peppermint shrimp works but when you get a small group of them it brings your chances way up!

90 gal reef

I injected mine with a kalk paste through a syringe. It wiped them out in one shot. I would squirt some in the mouth when they closed up I would Inject the stock. It's time consuming but did the trick.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I injected mine with a kalk paste through a syringe. It wiped them out in one shot. I would squirt some in the mouth when they closed up I would Inject the stock. It's time consuming but did the trick.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is this kalk paste something you buy or something that needs to be mixed on your own? Just curious.

I have tried AiptasiaX several times. It would be gone for a while and then it would sprout again on the same spot. Peppermint shrimp did it. Get 3 or 4 and they will surely feast on them.

I would try a couple peppermint shrimps as well as manual removal.

I have had 2 peps in my tank for a couple years now and I haven't seen an aiptasia since.

I will say that I think that if the aiptasia gets too large, the pep won't touch it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Aiptasia-X worked very great for me !!!
Don't touch the polyp before you inject the liquid, or it will close up, and not eat the poison.

Also, I took a bet with peppermint shrimp, this worked in my case. It's random, someting peppermint eat aiptasia, sometime they'll never eat one...

Back
Top Bottom