Hungry Hawkfish . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcquillian

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well,

After 3 months it seems that my Hawkfish had enough of my Cleaner Shrimp - taking both out in a period of two days.

I find it interesting that the Hawkfish and the Shrimp could co-exist for an extended period of time with no problems and then all of the sudden - WHAM !!!

Before anyone "flames" me regarding this post, I was aware of the possibility of this happening, I just find it interesting that this took place after an extended period of time.

My advice to others after experiencing this situation is to NOT have Cleaner Shrimp and Hawkfish in the same tank - regardless of the "luck" others have encountered.

So, other than my Horseshoe Crab, what else could I put in my tank? Thanks. :oops:

I dunno about the hawkfish/shrimp but you might get some harsh words for keeping a Koran Angelfish in a 30 gal. You do realise they get over a foot when fully grown and need upwards of a 100 gal ?

1) Yes, I saw the hawkfish eating the shrimp . . .

2) My Koran Angelfish is quite small at this time. If this becomes an issue, I will give him to friends who have a much larger tank - so far, it has not been an issue.

Have you ever considered that many people do not have the space or money to afford a large tank? I did the best I could with the advice that was provided at the time of purchase - BOTH the tank and the Koran Angelfish from my LFS. And NO it was not a Petco or a Pet Smart but a family owned, highly respected store in Orlando, FL.

Well, if that was your reaction to a passing comment on your large angel in a small tank...we won't even get into the horseshoe crab 8O

23_11_41.gif

They get to about 24" in diameter not counting the tail, that is usually not an issue in the aquarium, they starve to death long before then. They eat sand fauna, that is why they dig in the sand, once they have anhiallated any infauna in your sand, they will starve, they don't feed very well out of the water column.

FWIW, I don't blame you for any of this, it's a shame that LFS will continue to purchase these from wholesalers and never mention their requirements to their customers. However, once you have the information that the angel needs a larger tank (likely the first issue you will notice is a dead angel) and the horseshoe crab, where you go from there is on you ;)

reefrunner69,

Thanks for your reply.

My Horseshoe Crab is about 3" in diameter, and yes, he buries himself in my sand (usually for two days at a time) then resurfaces for a day, then the pattern repeats. Is there any additives that I can add to the tank to help feed him? I thought crabs were scavangers and ate all kinds of leftovers in the bottom of my tank . . .

Secondly, the Koran seems to be quite healthy, is not showing any signs of stress, and the conditions in the tank are optimal (except, of course for the size) I have two friends who have much larger systems that I am sure would be more than happy to take my $40.00 fish . . .

Since you seem to be quite knowledgable, what fish would you reccommend for my tank? The Hawkfish has to stay - it is 'da bomb. I am not attached to the damsels. How about a Clown Fish? Your opinion?

Is there any additives that I can add to the tank to help feed him? I thought crabs were scavangers and ate all kinds of leftovers in the bottom of my tank . . .

You can try burying meaty foods in the sand, it may help but it will most likely just foul the sand. Crabs are scavengars, some are also predatory, but horseshoe crabs are not actually crabs, they are more closely related to scorpians and spiders.

As for fish, the hawkfish should be fine ina 30g tank. Clowns will work well also, only one species per tank and no more than two, and that is sometimes a bad idea unless you buy them as a mated pair. Damsels are evil ;) What your looking at is bioload and compatability, I wouldn't go with more than 1.5" of (adult sized) fish per 5 gallons of tank capacity.

Back
Top Bottom