Hurricane Season in Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brodie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting to get my supplies in order for the hurricane season. Last year, my city got hit by two..power was out for 3 days. luckily, my tank was broken down for an overhaul. What sort of supplies should I be looking at in order to keep my tank alive if our power goes out again? Yes, generators would be nice, but I'm a poor college student, so that's kind of out of the question.

Well if you have an old battery backup there are DIY battery backups that you hook up to car batteries....

You should have some battery-powered air pumps. That's what got me through a 5-day power loss due to hurricane Isabel. I cut down drastically on feeding, since the filter was not working, but the pump kept the water moving. It definitely used up some batteries, though.

Thats what I used for mine last year. We had 3 of em come threw here I beleive. Then I got an inverter and hooked it up to the car and used it for a heater and the filter. What paln do you have for keeping the tank cool when the air conditioner goes out? That was an issue for my friends tank. Are you fish only or do you have a reef?

We had three come through here too. For my tanks I just used battery-operated air pumps. I still haven't had to replace the batteries.

You need at least a 400w convertor to hook up to the car. This will run a heater, and a small PH..

You might consider a generator. I think there is a Pep Boys down there? I bought a 3500 watt generator for $299. They are used a lot for RV's and such. It has a decent gas tank(4 gal) and was a lot cheaper than the Home Depot eqivalent. We don't lose power a lot, but I hope to be ready :)

I figure mine is big enough to run my tanks, supplimental lighting and maybe even a fridge :)

dang.. i read your title and others posts, thinking this was my thread. LOL just now realized its not.. But im gonna try the battery operated air pump, the one for fishing areator is what i need?

Back
Top Bottom