Hydnopora?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up this coral frag at the LFS today, my first sps buy. I thought it looked like some sort of montipora but the guy at the LFS said it's a Hydnopora, basically same care as a monti.

Can anyone confirm? It's got amazing color on it that the camera just won't pick up. A really bright flourescent green. I've got it at the top of the tank, as they had their right under some MH lights.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• dsc00087__medium__842.jpg
    dsc00087__medium__842.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 64
  • dsc00094__medium__196.jpg
    dsc00094__medium__196.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 78
  • dsc00095__medium__727.jpg
    dsc00095__medium__727.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 117
Looks like a Monti to me. My Hydnophora has large polyps, more like a LPS. Stinging tentacles line the edges of the skeleton. Those polyps look like a monti's. Montipora digita maybe?

I have both encrusting and branching hyndophora, and neither look like yours. I agree it looks more like a montiphora.

Attachments

• hydno_branching_866.jpg
    hydno_branching_866.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 100
  • hydno_encrusting_719.jpg
    hydno_encrusting_719.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 100
I agree that looks like a Monti to me. Beautiful coral though...I almost got one the day we went to BRK....I would have but I have SOOOO much green in my tank I need a few other colors.

Haha, sure Ziggy, but I'd never get a job there, too far away! :)

If you have some of those green sps you want to get rid of... I'm your best friend. :)

Back
Top Bottom