Hyposalinity Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luntiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so i'm at 1.0085 or around there and from my research, at this salinity, all inverts should be popping and dying off. So I wake up this morning to find PODS running all over the aquarium walls!!!!!!! Does this mean that there is a chance that the Ich will also survive the lower salinity? I'm so lost and confused right now.

No, the ick will not survive at this salinity. Are you using a refractomer or a swing arm type to measure your SG, the reason I ask is the swing are type can sometimes be off a little? I actually found a hermit crab alive in my hypo tank after a couple weeks and was surprised it was alive yet.

Refractometer, best 50 bucks ever spent in this hobby. It was funny when I brought my water to the LFS to have it tested. The owner there used a swing type and it read 1.005 and was interrogating me. Well anyways, my refractometer reads 1.008 and have been doing hypo for roughly 3 weeks. How is it that the pods on my tank wall can survive but the ich die? I thought at 1.009 all inverts die because they cannot maintain osmotic balance.

Jamal-188, thanks for the reply. Usually when I have questions about hypo, rarely do people reply.

luntiz said:
How is it that the pods on my tank wall can survive but the ich die? I thought at 1.009 all inverts die because they cannot maintain osmotic balance.

I do not belive that ick is an invertebrate that require the same conditions for life as a pod. I've used hypo on several occasions and it was successful each time.

My refractometer was one of my best $50 spent as well, IMO those swing arm units are a pain :wink:

HTH,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom