I am fed up with my skimmer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a red sea prizm deluxe skimmer on a 65 gallon tank. It worked GREAT for awhile. It broke down and I had to have the motor replaced after about six months. Not having a skimmer for a few weeks I got a cyano breakout. Now it is not working again, I had it fixed (impeller) and it only works if the intake tube is placed at the exact right location into the impeller. This means that I can get it to work if I wiggle it just right, but 20 minutes later it will not be. I am still trying to make a brace to hold it in the "perfect" position but to no avail.

Consequently, I now have a hair algae AND a cyano breakout. I am fed up, and thinking of buying a new skimmer. Money is a little tight right now and I need one that is a hang on model and easy to use. Any suggestions for a frustrated reef keeper? :x

I am fed up, and thinking of buying a new skimmer. Money is a little tight right now and I need one that is a hang on model and easy to use. Any suggestions for a frustrated reef keeper?

I am running an Aqua C and I love it. Costs around $160, but it is one great skimmer.

I am running an Aqua C and I love it. Costs around $160, but it is one great skimmer.
I ran an AquaC Remora skimmer as well until my recent upgrade.. It worked awesome. I never had even a single problem with it on my 55gal.. I just recently upgraded to the AquaC ev180.. I wold stand behind AquaC and state that the Quality is top notch..

HTH<
James

For a 65g reef I think the would stretch the AquaC remora a little too far, I would recommend the AquaC remora pro with surface skimmer attatchment, but the regular AquaC is very good and may handle your tank....

For a 65g reef I think the would stretch the AquaC remora a little too far, I would recommend the AquaC remora pro with surface skimmer attatchment
Yes I agree with this.. The Remora did a good job on my 55g reef however The pro would have done a much better job..
but the regular AquaC is very good and may handle your tank
IMO both of the Remoras will do a better job than the red sea prizm deluxe skimmer... The EV180 even though its a bit more expensive would "Rock Your Tanks World" It sure does on my 55gal and I can place it on a larger tank when I upgrade to a bigger tank..

James

Thank you for all of the responses. I have already contacted Darin to check on the costs! Looking forward to "clearer days"! :D

reefrunner69 said:
For a 65g reef I think the would stretch the AquaC remora a little too far, I would recommend the AquaC remora pro with surface skimmer attatchment, but the regular AquaC is very good and may handle your tank....

I agree with Kevin 100%.

I have an aqua C on my 65 gallon and it does a GREAT job. Pulls out lots of gunk.

I am sure the guys only mentioned the above because the Aqua C is only rated to go upto ~65 gallons. Its always better to get the biggest skimmer you can afford (to a point that is).

I'm not saying anything about the aquaC remora, I have one and love it, but an undersized skimmer will always look like it's doing a bang up job, it never finishes pulling the stuff out, so it is always producing. An appropriately sized skimmer will skim like gang busters for a few days/weeks then production will likely drop off considerably as it is keeping up with the organics. I have always been one that believes in going bigger than the manufacturer recommends, I believe even good manufacturers are a little ambitious of their products capabilities. This is just my opinion, based on my experience and prejudices and is no more valid than anyone elses ;)

I appreciate the advice. I think I will spend the extra and be safe. I do not want anymore cyano problems. Right now I have no skimmer, even though it is hooked up it is definately NOT working. I think I will write a product review right now! :roll:

Back
Top Bottom