I am getting rid of Bio-Balls.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok, I know Bio-Balls should be marketed as Nitrate producers so, I am removing them slowly. I am down to about 2 quarts worth... My questions are:

Should I use the sponge? and if not, how do you keep the particles from being suspended in the water?

What about the filter pad material? I am confused as to how your water can stay crystal clear without something to catch the particles.

I have yet to buy corals because I cannot get teh nitrates down past 10 ppm...Everything I read talks about how much they hate nitrates in any quanity.

I have read and believe the LR+LS method. but there are 3 types of filtration and LR+LS is only Biological. From wht I understand, you at least ned Bio+Mech filtration.

Would the mechanical filtration be the skimmer?

No matter how much I read, seems there is always something I am unsure of.

Ok, so now that I have opened a can of worms, any advice is welcome.

I believe a skimmer is considered chemical filtration. I do use mechanical filtration on my reef. I just use the filter incerts with carbon in them. I also dont use it on my FOWLR. The water seems to be just as clear. Why? dunno, but it is. The only equipment on my FOWLR is a heater and a powerhead.

From wht I understand, you at least ned Bio+Mech filtration.
Not true!
I have no mechanical filtration on any of my tanks. None. Zippo.
The water is crystal clear. You could read a book looking lengthwise through my 75. The particulate matter will fall out onto the sand bed where it is quickly dispatched by the worms, crabs, snails, etc. You just don't need filter floss, pads, sponges, etc., etc. They trap detritus and push your tank water through a rotting mess many times an hour. Get rid of all your pads, floss and sponges, your 'pods will thank you. Zooplankton will be able to float freely and feed your inverts. Removing all the particulates starves your filter feeders. Yada yada blah blah, you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom